Performed in 2D Mode. An early ultrasound pregnancy scan provides expectant mums with an opportunity to gain peace of mind and reassurance.
The first trimester of pregnancy is critical, therefore an early ultrasound scan provides expectant mums with an opportunity to gain peace of mind and start your journey.
- Positive pregnancy test – routine
- Lower abdominal pain, Vaginal bleeding or previous miscarriage are urgent indications.
Confirmation of the pregnancy is between 5 and 10 weeks of your pregnancy. Scans performed prior to this may be too small to visualize.
- The embryo resembles a coffee bean and the foundation for all organs and structures are in place.
- The embryo measures 6-30mm and averages 10-15g in weight.
What to expect
Drink between 4-5 cups of water or liquid approximately one hour before your ultrasound scan. A full bladder provides a window and aids visibility. Wear loose clothing.
The gestational sac or embryo will be measured and the heartbeat recorded (if applicable), We assess the location of the pregnancy to exclude an ectopic pregnancy and establish the presence of single or multiple pregnancy.
We calculate your expected due date by comparing the first day of your last menstrual period with specific measurements of the foetus by measuring the distance from the top of the head (crown) to the bottom of the body (rump).
The scan is an external transabdominal scan but we may perform a transvaginal scan if the pregnancy is very early.
Results are immediate and a report will be given to you for your doctor, midwife or clinic.
- R750 incl. thermal photos
- Optional DVD – R50 (records heartbeat and scan), USB- R150 (records clips and images)
- Single/ Multiple gestational sac from 5 weeks,
- Embryo and heartbeat at 6 weeks,
- Cervical length observation
- Ovary survey
- Investigation of pelvic pain or bleeding ,
- Exclude ectopic pregnancy (abnormal implantation site).